Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Laying in Store for the Winter

I have been busy trying to save everything I can and not let anything go to waste. We bought 1/2 bushel of peaches last week at the Farmer's Market. I froze most of them except I made an easy peach cobbler with part.As you can see, my husband got into it.
Easy Peach Cobbler
1 cup Bisquick
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
2 to 3 cups sliced peaches
I melt the butter in the microwave in the glass dish. In separate bowl, I mix Bisquick, sugar, and milk until smooth. I pour that over the butter in the dish. I top that with the peaches. Sprinkle a little sugar, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of allspice on top. I bake it at 350 degrees for one hour. We like to stir ours every 15 minutes, twice, and then don't stir the remainder of the time. Boy, is this good topped with vanilla ice cream. We only get ice cream when it is buy one, get one free.

Besides freezing peaches, I put up some corn, squash, and okra that a friend brought.

I made spaghetti sauce for Saturday night. I browned a pound of hamburger and a chopped onion and cubed some squash and zucchini into that and poured a jar of spaghetti sauce over it. I added some garlic powder and oregano and let this simmer. We had a meal Saturday and Sunday night out of this spaghetti sauce with sugar snap peas one night and a salad the next. Monday, I took what sauce was left over and made lasagna. What we had left from that meal, I divided into meals and put into the freezer.
We had one zucchini left yesterday from our garden and I grated it and made the chocolate chip zucchini muffins that I have posted the recipe for before. I would love to get some more corn and some field peas. We are hoping that we are going to have some late tomatoes.
Love,
Marie

9 comments:

  1. Peaches aren't ready here, and the ones in the grocery store just don't taste the same as the ones right from the farm. We're having such a rainy summer, I wonder what the crop will end up like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie! MMMMmmmm....you're making me hungry! I've got a lot of preserving to do as well...this week and last week have worn me out though. I am working at the county fair for 5 hours today, rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding is tomorrow...and we have to get my youngest daughter's 4H project to the state fair...and then the wedding is Saturday. I also had to work on Tuesday and Wednesday...those long nasty hours! I can't wait until next week when I get to clean my house and put up food! Maybe it will be therapeutic to me! Talk to you later, dear!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so yummy. I recently bought some peaches but wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. After seeing how tasty your cobbler looks, I think we'll try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie, Your recipes look great! Thanks for stopping my blog. You mentioned you were interested in making your blog into a book. Here is the website address that I used.

    http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie,

    Thanks for stopping by. Both of your recipes look delicious. I think peach cobbler is one of my favorite dishes so I am going to have to try it!!! That spaghetti sounds GREAT too!!!

    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I am new to your blog and I am enjoying getting to know you very much. I like to knit and crochet also. Your recipes look wonderful. I look forward to visiting with you again! Have a nice weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  7. The peach cobbler sounds delicious! It sounds like it would be easy to make too which is always a plus!

    I am also scrambling to preserve the abundance from our garden. It's a busy time of year once our big garden is in full swing!

    Is that your house in your header of your blog? It is SO cute!! I love that green porch roof and all your ferns and flowers. It looks like an absolutely wonderful place to sit for a spell and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I so enjoy hearing from my readers. This recipe looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it.

    ~Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete