Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fig Cookies

The squirrels got most of our tomatoes and usually the birds peck our figs, but this year the birds are leaving the figs to us. There will not be enough to do a lot with but when my husband brought in enough the other day that I thought I could do something with, I went to Google. I found this recipe for fig cookies.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped figs
1/2 cup walnuts - I used toasted pecans

Cream sugar and shortening and add beaten egg.
Sift dry ingredients and blend with creamed mixture
Fold in figs and nuts.

Drop by spoonfuls on greased sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes
Mine were done in 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Marie,

    These sound simply wonderful and makes me wish I had a fig tree.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete